Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How to get cottage style on a flea market budget

Finding bargains to decorate your cottage or cottage style home can be a challenge.  If you don't mind spending time at fairs, flea markets and searching online for bargains, you can find some really fun stuff for great prices.  Like all things in life, you get back the effort that you put in.

Pottery Barn

If you watch for the sales, Pottery Barn has some great cottage finds.
 



Holbrook Seagrass Wingback Headboard from Potter Barn is only $399 for a full or queen sized bed! 

I love these Pottery Barn Hyannis Lanterns.  They definitely give the cottage feel.  But you don't need to spend the high price for this look.  You can use Ball canning jars with colored stones or sea glass.

 

Flea Markets, Fairs and Yard Sales - Oh my!

 
I've found some of my greatest bargains at country fairs.  Every year my husband and I go to a fourth of July fair in a little New Hampshire town.  We have found antique beds for under $200, old blanket boxes and quilts, tables and chairs at prices you would normally see at yard sales!  We were so surprised the first year at the bargains that we bought a couple items on the spot and went back home to get our truck and returned later in the day to pick everything up. 
 
One year, we were driving home from the very same fair and noticed Adirondack chairs and benches for sale on someone's front lawn.  This person made them himself and they were excellent quality at a great price. The bench we bought even folds so we can move it inside for the winter.  That was the only year he had chairs out for sale.  Just goes to show that you always need to be watching for those bargains and ready to snatch them at a moment's notice!
 
Don't be afraid to negotiate price.  The items are usually marked up with the expectation that you will haggle.  If I see multiple items that I want, I'll usually offer one price for the lot. 
 
I hope this helps give you a few ideas to start your bargain hunting.  So get out there and let me know what steal and deals you find!  :-)
 
 
Photo - Country Living

No comments: